Mel,
It was Christmastime. I was 4 years old. I was playing in our living room next to the Christmas tree.
I LOVED the Christmas lights where the bulb is colored and partly clear and you can see the filament glowing inside the bulb.
I was admiring our Christmas lights on the tree, mesmerized by the shining filament. It gave me an idea.
I went into the kitchen and got a twist tie. One of those paper-coated wires from a bread bag.
I stripped the paper away, unplugged the Christmas tree light cord, and looped the wire from one electrical prong to another.
I plugged it into the socket. I couldn’t wait to see my new improvised light bulb!
It made a brilliant flash and a loud POP. The circuit breaker tripped. The lights in our house went black.
My mom went into hysterics in the kitchen.
What was left of the melted wire turned from yellow to orange to red. Then bluish afterimages on my retinas in the darkness.
That wasn’t the first time unbridled enthusiasm would lead to an unexpected surprise.
Like the day I rode my “horsey with wheels” down the stairs and busted out my front teeth.
Like my job at a Fortune 500 co where I sent a fax announcing the company’s stock had tragically plummeted and was closing on Friday. That got me fired.
What gets you in the most trouble – the stuff that got you fired or burned the house down – is also your supreme gift.
And the surprise does NOT always turn out bad.
I experienced those same emotions and anticipation when I fired up my first Google campaign in 2002.
When I launched my first seminar.
When I announced a $10M prize.
When I started a biotech company.
What mischief has burned YOUR fingers? What superpower lurks behind your biggest disasters?
What tantalizing possibility is looming ahead of you RIGHT NOW?
Perry Marshall
No comments:
Post a Comment